THIS is the shocking moment a 150-year-old church goes up in flames before a woman is rescued in dramatic scenes overnight.
Historical St Simon’s Catholic Church was “completely destroyed” in the blaze with fire fighters rushing to the scene in the early hours of the morning.
Residents living nearby have been evacuated from their homes, while others were warned to keep windows closed.
And shocking photos from the scene show the historic building completely ablaze, with flames bursting through the roof and stained glass windows.
The first 999 call was made at 2.40am.
However, thanks to the quick response of blue light crews, no serious injuries have yet been reported.
One person was rescued from a property next door and treated at the scene.
One witness told Glasgow Live: “Fire came from inside and broke out through the large stained glass at the front façade.
“The roof collapsed around 3.30am.
“The church tender, Mary, who lived in the adjoining house, was evacuated with no injuries. The house is now under siege from the fire.
“The inferno rages on toward the back of the 150-year-old structure where two cranes are trying to extinguish the blaze.”
Another said on social media: “We got woken up by walkie-talkie sounds, fiancé went out and the church across the bridge has been completely destroyed in a fire within half an hour.
“St Simon’s was beautiful to look at.”
Another wrote: “St Simon’s church in Partick is gutted. 150 years old, gone in 30 mins.”
A spokesperson for Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We were alerted at 2.40am on Wednesday, July 28 to reports of a fire within a church on Partick Bridge Street, Partick, Glasgow.
“Operations Control mobilised six fire appliances including two height appliances and more than 30 firefighters are in attendance and working to extinguish the fire.
“One person was assisted from the property and given precautionary treatment at the scene.
“Adjacent properties have been evacuated as a precautionary measure and nearby residents are advised to keep windows and doors closed due to smoke.
“Road users should avoid the area to allow access for emergency service vehicles and due to road closures.
“Crews are expected to remain in attendance for some time.”
The cause of the fire isn’t yet known.
The church is the third oldest of its kind in Glasgow, and dates back to 1858.
It has been known as a Polish church since the Second World War and still today two masses are said in Polish by a priest.
It was completely restored between 2005 and 2008 for its 150th anniversary after Heritage Scotland paid out a £200,000 grant, which was matched by fundraising from the congregation.
Source: The Sun