AN 11-YEAR-OLD impaled herself with a metal comb while filming a TikTok challenge at a sleepover.
Mum Julieanne McNamee has issued a despereate warning to other parents after daughter Ellie was millimetres away from piercing through her hand completely and “just missed hitting any veins, nerves or bone”.
The schoolgirl had been with pals on Saturday night when they decided to have a go at a trend they had seen on the video sharing app.
In it, users open drinks cans by stabbing the side to make the liquid stream out – much like ‘shotgunning’ a beer.
Ellie used a metal tail comb instead of a knife which is used in most clips, without realising how sharp they can be.
As she pierced her can of Fanta, the end of the comb punctured Ellie’s skin and sunk deeper into her hand, almost coming out the other side.
Her friend’s mum immediately phoned Julieanne, who said her daughter was “frightened” and “feeling faint”.
The 35-year-old, from East Renfrewshire, Scotland, told The Sun Online: “When I got the call to say she was injured, I panicked and drove straight there to get her.
“I was shocked when I saw the injury in person. I held back tears as she was visibly upset and frightened, as was her friend and friend’s mum.
“Luckily she hadn’t attempted to take the comb out and was brave enough to leave it be.”
Julieanne raced Ellie straight to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley where she was rushed through to A&E in a wheelchair.
“The staff at the hospital were all gobsmacked by her injury as they hadn’t seen anything like it,” the mum said.
Ellie was given pain relief before doctors removed the comb.
Thankfully the youngster “escaped with a dressing and some antibiotics to fight any possible infection”.
Julieanne added: “Luckily Ellie hasn’t done any permanent damage to her hand.
“She narrowly missed piercing through her hand completely though, and also just missed hitting any veins, nerves or bone.”
But the mum-of-three has warned other parents their kids may not be so lucky.
Julieanne said: “Parents must make children aware that not everything they see on TikTok is safe to do at home.
“The video Ellie copied is one of many circulating the app, many of which are filmed showing children doing it.
“If we can save one child from doing serious damage to themselves by raising awareness, it’s worth it.
“Adults are filming crazy acts such as this and sharing them on platforms like TikTok and YouTube.
“Since the incident, Ellie has had time to reflect on her actions and realises how extremely fortunate she is to have caused herself no lasting damage.
“She hopes that by showing others what can happen when you attempt dangerous things you see online, she can prevent another child from doing something similar.”
TikTok has been contacted for comment.
Source: The Sun