The Omicron variant is now the dominant coronavirus strain in Spain
A variant is considered dominant once it accounts for more than 50% of viruses sequenced, and this is now the case for Austria (95.4%), Belgium (99.7%) and Cyprus (93.9%) among 20 others. In Spain, 87.4% of all infections diagnosed are Omicron.
Across Europe, the average age of those infected with the variant in the first week of 2022 is 30 years and infections are spread evenly between men and women. In contrast, only 7% of people over the age of 60 have tested positive for Omicron.
In total, from the available data, 111,949 cases of Omicron have been diagnosed in the EU/EEA, 76% reported having symptoms while the remaining 24% were asymptomatic.
Of these, 1.14% of people had to be hospitalised, 0.16% of patients ended up in the ICU and 0.06% have died.
Read more about Coronavirus:
Sign up for the Spanish News Today Editors Roundup Weekly Bulletin to get a comprehensive email with all the week’s news for Spain, Murcia, Alicante and Andalucía.
Get a sneak peek – here are a few of our recent Subscription Bulletins:
50% Discount Special Offer subscription:
24.95€ for 48 Editor’s Weekly News Roundup bulletins!
Please CLICK THE BUTTON to subscribe.
Source: Murcia Today