The police have published an unblurred photograph of a man they think may have filmed the fatal attack on Carlo Heuvelman on Majorca last July, in a last ditch attempt to track him down.
Heuvelman died in hospital after being attacked and repeatedly kicked in the head after a night out on the holiday island.
The photo was shown on a television crime show on Tuesday night in full detail, two months after a blurred picture failed to generate any tip-offs at all.
‘We know that publishing his face is a breach of his privacy but this case has had a major impact on society and the public prosecution department considers using the photo to be justified,’ a police spokeswoman said.
Police say the man was outside the Bar Bier Express at the time Carlo was lying on the ground and other witnesses have said he was using his mobile phone camera. He is described as being Dutch, with dark blonde hair and an Amsterdam accent.
In total eight men from Hilversum have been arrested in connection with the case. Last November, three of them told judges at a preparatory hearing in Lelystad they did not touch the victim.
Prosecutors said then that the investigation into what happened is still far from complete. They have so far interviewed 60 witnesses, but is still looking for more, as well as additional video footage showing the actual attack.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.
If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to,
you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.
Source: Dutch News