The Organisation of Consumers and Users (OCU) recommends a minimum of 15 SPF in Spain
We’re all tempted to rush out into the sun to lap up the glorious sunshine and top up our tans in Spain. But the reality is that whilst we may boast gloriously golden skin as a result, more than often proceeded by a painful tomato-red appearance, exposure to harmful UV rays can lead to permanent damage and in the worst cases, cause skin cancer.
Dermatologists advise using sunscreen all year round, but during the spring and summer it is vital to protect skin from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays and recent studies show that anyone who plans on spending time outdoors should use a protection factor of at least 15 SPF which is adapted to their skin type.
According to Organisation of Consumers and Users (OCU), many people do not actually understand the meaning of the number that appears on sun creams. The figure indicates the number of times by which the time you can stay in the sun without getting sunburnt is multiplied, but even if you do not get sunburnt your skin suffers.
“You should use sunscreen according to your skin type and choose the highest protection (50+) for children.”
To help choose a sunscreen, the OCU has put together a top 10 ranking which includes several preservative-free sunscreens. In addition, before deciding on one brand or another, the organisation advises checking what it is made of in case it is harmful to the sea.
The OCU’s 10 best sunscreens
- Garnier Ambre Solaire Children’s Sensitive Advanced Anti-Sand Mist SPF 50+. This cream has a protection factor of 50+, protects against UVA and UVB rays and its spray mist format makes it easy to apply.
- Garnier Delial Ambre Solaire Sun Protection Spray SPF 30. Moisturising sun protection spray that protects against UVA and UVB rays and is water resistant.
- Nivea Sun Milk Protect & Tan SPF 30. A two-in-one spray that protects the skin from the sun’s rays and protects against UVA and UVB rays thanks to its SPF 30. It stimulates the natural tanning process.
- La Roche Posay Anthelios Comfort SPF 30. Protects against UVA and UVB rays and contains SPF 30.
- Cien Sul (LIDL) Children’s Spray SPF 50+. Aimed for children’s use, it protects against UVA and UVB rays, perfect for children with fair skin and those who are sensitive to the sun.
- Aptonia (Decathlon) Spray Solare SPF 30. Protects against UVA and UVB rays and has a high resistance to water and sweat making it ideal for those who practice outdoor sports.
- Babaria Sun Milk Protective Milk Aloe Vera SPF 30. Protective cream with SPF 30 and protects against UVA, UVB and infrared rays with tanning accelerator.
- Nivea Sun Protect & Moisturise (GUN) SPF 30. Sunscreen spray with SPF 30 that absorbs quickly and maintains moisture levels and reduces water loss.
- Garnier Delial 24 Hour Moisturising Sunscreen Milk SPF 30. Protective milk with that protects against the damaging effects of UVA and UVB rays, especially recommended for tanned skin that tans easily.
- Garnier Ambre Solaire Children’s Moisturising Spray SPF 50+. It has a high protection against the harmful effects of UVA and UVB rays. It is water resistant and can be applied on both dry and wet skin and is a perfect sunscreen for children.
Source: Murcia Today